NCI Charrette System™ Certificate Training
The purpose of this training is to teach you how to design the right process for your project that will result in the best solutions with broad support. Participants will gain a practical understanding of how to apply the NCI Charrette System™ to a wide range of planning projects. Working in small teams using a case study format you will learn how to direct a collaborative team project start-up meeting to assess and design the process for a wide range of project types. You will gain a working knowledge of the 13 most important NCI Charrette System™ tools and techniques, including:
- Guiding Principles
- Objectives and Measures
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Project Roadmap
- Charrette Ready Plan
- Charrette Schedule
- Project Budgeting
- Hands-on Public Workshop
Throughout the training we will present the latest high-tech tools to support each phase of the process. One major benefit of this training is meeting and working with your fellow students. NCI trainings consistently attract top practitioners in the field from across the US and abroad. Students report that one of the most valuable aspects of the course is learning from each other and establishing beneficial relationships with others in the field of community planning.
2015 Upcoming Public TrainingsFollow orange links below for details on individual trainings.
- Portland, OR — October 28-30 *Early registration through 9/18*
- Miami, FL — Winter 2016
- Portland, OR — Spring 2016
- Washington, DC — Spring 2016
- Harvard University — Summer 2016
- Portland, OR — Fall 2016
Who should take this course
The training is ideal for planners, designers, and developers specializing in sustainable development, transportation, public works, and transit as well as citizen advocacy.
You will gain a practical, working knowledge of the most advanced collaboration tools and techniques used by the leaders in community planning. Depending on your skill and experience level, upon completion of the training you will be able to host or conduct a NCI charrette.
Using a case study method in small group hands-on exercises, you will learn:
- If you are a consultant, how to successfully make charrettes a part of your business practice.
- If you are part of a public agency, how to better serve your community and increase community capacity to work collaboratively and positively in community planning projects.
- How to leverage the opportunity of conflict. NCI experts will give you tools for building relationships and changing perceptions throughout challenging situations.
- How to save time and money by reducing rework through the short feedback cycle work flow.
- How to use design as a conflict resolution tool to create an aligned vision and shared solutions.
- About a team approach that can get people out of their silos and lead to shared learning across disciplines.
- The essential tools for assessing and planning a project using an NCI Charrette, including: Guiding Principles, Objectives and Measures, Stakeholder Analysis, Charrette System Roadmap, Charrette Ready Plan and Charrette Schedule
Training AgendaExercises are performed by small groups (8 max) using case studies
RegistrationThis 3-day, intensive training will be offered to the public several times per year. Register through the NCI website or partnering organizations. See the above list of dates for upcoming trainings. This training is also available in-house at your location. Please contact us for details and availability.
|This course is accredited with the AIA for 18 continuing education hours (CEHs), the AICP for 18 certification maintenance (CM) credits, the ASLAfor LA CES for 18 professional development hours (PDH), andthe CNU for 18 CNU-A continuing education credits.|| |